Pvt Linwood Ray Biles
Our Hometown Heroes
Linwood Ray Biles
Army-Air Corps Emblem on his Grave
Born, September 17, 1923, Linwood Ray Biles grew up in Griffin. The family lived on Mt. Zion Road. Linwood had two brothers, Lawrence and Roy; and two sisters, Shirley and Ella. His mother and father were Ollie Mae Biles and O.O. Biles.
The young man attended high school for two years and enlisted in the U.S. Army on December 9, 1942. He was a machinist by trade.
Not much more is known about Private Biles or his military service. Research does point out he was in the Army-Air Corps and was killed in action on July 25, 1943, seven months after he had joined to serve his country.
Biles in buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Griffin. On the grave marker is the Army-Air Corps emblem, and words marked, “In the arms of Jesus.”